Tuesday, January 20, 2015

August 12, 2014

For the next 2 years, I have a new home, new food, new friends, a new life. I do not even know where to start... I want to share some of the experiences I have had thus far but those can wait. I know you guys probably want to hear more about Honduras in general. Soooo here ya go

EVERYthing is green. Im not gunna lie, and I may be a little embaressed to say this but it is super pretty. I am in La Ceiba which is the city that is said to be ¨The city that plays while while San Pedro Sula works¨ And if you know what they mean by work then yaa..Dont worry please, we still hear gun shots on a regular basis but here is no where as dangerous as it is in SPS. La Ceiba is one of the main cities that is right next to the islands. It is in between the coast and the mountains. I am kind of on the outskirts of town in mountains which was exactly what I wanted. It is pretty dope area. There are animals everywhere. Cows, dogs, pigs, chickens, sheep in the streets, in the houses, everywhere. Its only been 3 weeks, but I am already finding it normal to have a chicken or pig run through our legs in the middle of a lesson. haha My companion is pretty dope.. he is from El Salvador and actually speaks great English. He even speaks too much English sometimes. I have to yell at him and remind him to shut up in English and say everything in Spanish so I can learn faster.  But honestly, I am really grateful for him. Yes he definitely gets on my nerves and I wish he worked harder but I am learning soooo much from him. He has been in this are for almost 10 months which is like unheard of to be in the same little community for so long. So he literally knows everyone and everything of our area which is good and bad in some ways. He is getting a little complacent here. We have great people we are teaching now but we are not doing a good job in talking to new people every day so I have been trying really hard to push him in this aspect.


Spanish is coming slow but it is coming.. I am starting to understand more and more in our lessons and can almost always know whats going on throughout the lesson (because I understand most of the words and vocabulary of the gospel) but when we are just talking with people in the street.. I am pretty sure that they are speaking Japanese or something. I am not exactly sure what language they are speaking but it's not Spanish. haha 

August 25, 2014

okay okay okayyy.. So yo boy made it safe n sound.. 2 different planes and 3 different buses I am in La Ceiba, Honduras. I didn't get the chance to write last week cuz I didn't get here til super late. I was nervous I might see Meghan running down the streets of Honduras looking for me to make sure I am ok but she has faith in me. haha  I will tell you everything next week but this week is dedicated to my boy Isaac THE LIONHEART Lessard.. Hes got a BIIIG day coming up. I really cant explain this day in words. Lets just say it is the biggest day of his life thus far. In the 17 years of living.. since he was birthed, to when he took his first step, and much greater that any award or graduation he has accomplished.  It is the day he plays De La Salle at Cal on ESPN.. Wowww I can't believe I am not gunna be there physically but you better believe I willll be his biggest fan in spirit. No one even try to get on my level cuz it aint happening! But I am so jacked for this day and am so proud of this kid. I have told him how I really feel about the kind of man he is growing into. He has a long ways to go, he knows that but it has been amazing seeing him progress in the right direction! He will get mad at me if I keep talking bout him but I just want everyone to know how extremely proud of this kid I am and how much I love him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 12, 2014

I wanna start off with a quote that I absolutely love... "I have often said one of the greatest secrets of missionary work is work! If a missionary works, he will get the spirit. When he gets the spirit, he will teach by the spirit. and if he teaches by the spirit, he will touch the hearts of the people and he will be happy! There will be no homesickness, no worrying about families, for ALL time and talents and interest are centered around the work of the ministry.  Work, work, work, there is no substitute, especially in missionary work!"

I have read this quote every single day since the first day I got here and I absolutely love it. Our teacher is the man! I'll have to tell you bout him later but he is so awesome. He was a pro soccer player but passed up on millions of dollars to go on a mission. I look up to him so much and he was a really awesome missionary. So this next part means a lot to me.  He said that in the 100s missionaries he has trained he has never meant anyone that works as hard as me!!!! What a great compliment from him right? And he said because of that, he thinks that I have the best Spanish in the CCM. I mean some guys have only been here for 2 weeks but still.. I was jacked bout that! Its coming you guys, slowly but surely. I love the simple saying.. Control the controllables, and I have lived my life in a way that nobody will every work harder than me.  There are a loooot of things people are better at than me. Here, the other missionaries know the gospel, scriptures, and at the beginning, the language more than me.  But one thing that no can take away from me, is my work ethic!
 
So I didn't want to tell anyone in case I couldn't finish it. But our teacher read a promise by Gordon B Hinckley (the last prophet of the church) that stated something to the extent if you read the Book of Mormon in the language that you will be teaching as a missionary from the front cover to the last page out loud that you will know the language.  Doesn't mean that you are going to be fluent immediately but you will be able to speak the language.  I took this promise to heart and have read 400 pages IN SPANISH in 3 weeks.  I calculated it.. Since I can't read the language very well it is going to take me over 110 hours to finish it.  But you know what, I want it BADDD! Not for selfish reasons at all.. But I want more than anything to help the people of Honduras. I want to portray my testimony of this church and how much happiness they can receive.  The only way I can do this is if I know the language so I have been working my butt offffff! As soon as I get home at 9;30, instead of goofing off and writing in my journal (which I probably should be doing) I read for 45 minutes then get ready for bed and then stay up for another 30 minutes til 11 when everyone else is sleeping. Then I wake up 15 minutes early bang out 250 pushups and read some more before any one has woken up. It makes me reallllly tired throughout the day but it is so worth it.
 
It is coming, it is coming quick and I have a strong testimony that when we are giving our 100% then the Lord will make up the rest. I am so grateful for everything that my Father in Heaven has blessed me with and I am sooo grateful for the opportunity to serve him and the people of Honduras for 2 years.  This has honestly already been the hardest month of my life.  I much rather be at home eating ice cream and watching a movie w Meg, and watching Isaac tear it up... But I know this is what I NEED to do! 
 
And I'm just gunna say it, the only way I'm coming home is if it is in a coffin!!! Sorry Maa:) and Meg:)
It's just an expression but I am serious. 
Love you all and miss you every day 

No comments:

Post a Comment